Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Celebrating Earth Day

I think I celebrated Earth Day back before it was the politically correct thing to do. Growing up as a daughter of a dad in the garbage business, I remember sporting really "cool" Earth Day shirts, going to Earth Day rallies, and one year distributing recycling bins through neighborhoods. I guess you could say I had "gone green" as a child.

However, I still drive a gas guzzlin' SUV, drink out of water bottles and use paper towels. We do recycle a ton though, bring our reusables bags to the grocery store, and I am more conscious of what is going on to our planet.

One website I love to check out is simplemom.com. She wrote this week about practical ways to go green at home. A few things we already do, some we'll never do, and others I thought I'd really like to try. So.... we celebrated Earth Day 2009 by planting an herb garden. The weather was great and Ella had a blast using her new Dora gloves and shovel to help out.

Ella digging the holes.


So proud of her work. We planted basil, dill (seeds), oregano, chives (seeds) and cilantro.

Audrey watched from the sidelines but had to have every ball in the back yard on her blanket.


After naps, we enjoyed the outdoors and had a popsicle picnic at the park with friends and let the kids feed the ducks.
I am so thankful that God created this perfect planet and I hope that I will treat it well and pass that lesson on to my girls too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

just stumbled onto your blog from someone else's! love getting to know you and your girls a little better, through playgroup, and now your blog! Can't wait to have my own little princess here! :)

Marcy said...

yummm cilantro. Think of all the roasted corn guacamole John can make. Looks like a fun day.

Amy L said...

What a great idea! I've been wanting to plant an herb garden myself - I think I buy fresh basil every week at the grocery store. Very fun, and great pictures!