When we headed to Florida we were able to get to have a little family reunion with my cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents. Family reunions are one of the most memorable parts of my childhood. Every year on the second Saturday of June, my grandfather's side of the family would gather out in the pasture behind their home and we would enjoy a fun day of food, fellowship, and activities. My grandfather had 7 other siblings, who each had at least 4 children, then numerous grandchildren. We had over a hundred people there every year and the event lasted for almost 40 years - pretty impressive, huh? It has dwindled down to a lot less over the years as the original brothers and sisters have gotten older, so this year we decided to hold it over the 4th of July with just my grandfather's immediate family.
It makes me sad that families in general aren't as close anymore. Maybe it is because now people tend to not necessarily live in the same area as the rest of their family does. Maybe it is because we all think we are too busy to find time to get together or it costs too much money. I know I can be guilty of that, but all I really have to say is shame on me. Some of my greatest childhood memories are the times I spent riding go-carts with my cousins, the fishing trips with my grandpa, swinging on the porch swing while eating my slice of watermelon. I want my kids to have those memories too and appreciate their family.
I am so thankful we were able to make it this year! We got to celebrate Meemaw and Paw's birthday too--so it made it even more special! It was a great day filled with games, great food, and lots of fun with family! We were thrilled to finally be able to introduce Audrey to everyone--I guess better late than never!
No comments:
Post a Comment